Fireplace or Woodstove
- NEVER start a fire or try to revive one with gasoline or other flammable liquids.
- Don’t use excessive amount of paper or cardboard to build roaring fires. By over-building the fire, its possible to ignite creosote build-up in the chimney.
- Clean your fireplace or stove regularly and have the chimney cleaned and inspected at least once every year or more often depending how frequently you use the fireplace or woodstove.
- Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace opening, to prevent embers from popping out, unwanted material from going in, and help prevent the possibility of burns to occupants.
- If synthetic logs are used, closely follow the instructions on the package. Never break a synthetic log apart to quicken the fire or use more than one log at a time. They will often burn unevenly and release higher levels of carbon monoxide.
- NEVER burn charcoal indoors (even in your fireplace). Burning charcoal can give off lethal amounts of carbon monoxide.
- Keep combustible materials at least 36 inches away from woodstoves and from opening of fireplaces.
- Check heating equipment regularly for rusted parts and unsecured mountings.
- It’s important that you have your furnace inspected to insure that it is in good working condition.
- Be sure all furnace controls and emergency shutoffs are working properly.
- Leave furnace repairs to qualified specialists. Do not attempt repairs or adjustments unless you are qualified.