A hand-pumped fire engine and hose cart were purchased in 1901 to supplement the ladder cart. In later years a Model T Ford was used to tow the pumper hose and ladder carts. The Model T was also loaded with soda acid fire extinguishers that caused some concern when sudden stops and turns had to be made.
In 1931, a Maxim Fire Truck (500 gpm, 60 water) was purchased and was the pride of the company until it was replaced by a 1952 Maxim pumper (750 gpm, 300 water). That pumper was replaced in 1968 by a newer model Maxim pumper (1000 gpm, 600 water). Also purchased that year was a 65-foot aerial ladder truck built by American La France in 1944. This truck was replaced in 1976 with a Seagrave 100-foot aerial ladder truck. The year 1968 also saw the purchase of a 1963 Ford pickup truck to be used as a utility truck.
In 1978, the company saw the need to expand. A new mini-pumper (450 gpm, 250 water) was purchased from the Pierce Manufacturing Co. and the Seagrave Corporation delivered a pumper (1000 gpm,1000 water) to replace the headquarters engine in 1979. The newest piece of apparatus to be purchased was a rescue truck built by Pierce.
Read about our current apparatus here.
Over the years, Newtown Hook & Ladder has been a progressive firefighting company. To meet the changing times in the fire service, the company adopted the Plectron home alerting system in 1956. Hook and Ladder was one of the earliest companies in Connecticut to adopt this system. In 1974 the company purchased the Hurst Rescue Tool, one of the first in Fairfield County. In 1978, to meet the demand for better water supply for firefighting, 5? large diameter hose (LDH) was put into service. With the advancement in electronics and other technologies, Newtown Hook & Ladder purchased its first Thermal Imaging Camera in the spring of 1998, and we currently operate with four cameras. We currently operate with state of the art radio communications, next generation Self Contained Breathing Apparatus and Firefighting gear.